Becca Miller, CFRE
Phoebe Foundation, Inc
Why is a 40 under 40 winner
- Becca created the new May is For Miracles internal campaign to raise money for Children’s Miracle Network. In its most recent year, the campaign raised over $20,000
- She earned her CFRE certification in January 2021
- Becca is a member of the Hospital Task Force, a Children’s Miracle Network working group that helps guide the connection between CMNH national staff and partner hospitals
Q & A
1. How did you get into healthcare philanthropy?
As a freshman at the University of Georgia, I joined UGA Miracle, a student run organization fundraising for Children’s Healthcare of Atlanta. At my first dance marathon event, I took the standing challenge and stood for 24 hours. A mother of one of our patients came up to me with tears in her eyes and said, “Thank you for standing in honor of my daughter that never will.” In this moment, I committed the next three years of college to this organization and fell in love with healthcare philanthropy and decided to pursue a career in this field after graduation.
2. Tell us about a pivot point or crucial step in your career journey.
When the COVID-19 pandemic began last March, our community was hit hard and quickly. Towards the end of March, our county in Southwest Georgia had the highest death rate per capita from COVID-19 in the world. As the primary health system in our region, we quickly realized that Phoebe is the lifeline for our community against this fight. While I am not on the frontline of patient care, playing a small part in the power of philanthropy during this unprecedented crisis demonstrated the impact and value of our work. Without a doubt, working in healthcare philanthropy during the COVID-19 crisis has left an indelible imprint on me and will forever change the way I view my role in this field.
3. What piece of advice would you give aspiring 40 Under 40 recipients?
Keep your organization’s mission, the population you serve, and your donors at the center of everything you do. Never forget your “Why”–the reason behind pursuing this career and the passion you have for helping others. As representatives in the field of healthcare philanthropy, we have the amazing privilege of being catalysts for our community to come together to save lives and make every life we touch better. Be a team player and put the success of your team above your personal success. As you serve your community humbly and faithfully, you will be fulfilled and success will follow.