New York, New York
Why is a 40 under 40 winner
- Mary Kate has been promoted many times from Development Associate to Coordinator to Major Gifts Officer to Senior Major Gifts Officer and now she leads the Annual Programs and Donor Engagement teams.
- She took over the Hospital’s digital fundraising in late 2019, and increased 2019 #GivingTuesday fundraising total by 776% by implementing a new strategy
- She was a volunteer in the hospital’s DOVE program. DOVE advocates assist survivors of sexual assault and domestic violence in the emergency rooms
Q & A
1. How did you get into healthcare philanthropy?
From an early age, I felt a calling to the world of philanthropy. My late grandfather was a dedicated civic leader and imparted a strong sense of duty to make a difference to me, my siblings, and sixteen cousins. Watching both my parents go through serious, life-threatening illnesses—both treated at NewYork-Presbyterian—inspired me to make it my life’s work to ensure every patient and family member has the same access to the quality of care that my family was blessed to receive. After two summers of college internships with the Office of Development at NYP, I knew I had found my home.
2. Tell us about a pivot point or crucial step in your career journey.
The psychology behind what drives people to give fascinates me. My shift in focusing more on the “why,” rather than the “how,” of a successful gift was a truly pivotal point in my career. Understanding my part in helping people to express their gratitude and continue to heal has enabled me to make deeper, more meaningful connections with my donors and clinical colleagues. It has also empowered me to make a positive impact on NYP’s grateful patient program and pipeline development.
3. What piece of advice would you give aspiring 40 Under 40 recipients?
Invest time in working with and mentoring junior fundraising staff. I’ve learned so much about my own strengths and blind spots through working with all of the tremendously bright and talented junior staff that have come through our department. Each one brings a new perspective and innovative ideas to the table. It’s such a pleasure and honor to be a part of impacting the success of the next generation of healthcare fund.