Alicia M. DeLuca
Holy Cross Health
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Why is a 40 under 40 winner
- Alicia was able to increase revenue by over $200,000 through digital appeals and grants and reached a new demographic of donors
- She is a 2021, Boston University Certificate in Professional Fundraising Program Graduate and Mentor
- Alicia received the Outstanding Performance and Exceeding Goal Award at the American Cancer Society in 2017, the Top Performer recognition at the American Cancer Society Southeast Region in 2018 and the 2019 Portfolio Award Distinguished Events at the American Cancer Society
Q & A
1. How did you get into healthcare philanthropy?
Early on in my career as an event planner, I had the opportunity to help execute nonprofit events for various local organizations. When presented with an opportunity to work in fundraising fulltime in the education sector, I quickly realized my passion for philanthropy. One of my mentors reached out to me regarding a similar position in the healthcare industry which has since led me to a deeply rewarding career with Holy Cross Health. I truly believe in the work that we do and thoroughly enjoy witnessing the impact of all our efforts firsthand.
2. Tell us about a pivot point or crucial step in your career journey.
Through my experience working for a national nonprofit, I developed a greater understanding of the inner workings of an organization of that scale and reach. Applying the knowledge gained and the ability to streamline processes has helped me cultivate more meaningful and successful philanthropic relationships. It also gave me a greater realization of my desired career path to focus on major gifts.
3. What piece of advice would you give aspiring 40 Under 40 recipients?
To place a premium on the relationships you build throughout your career, especially early on. Cultivate and maintain healthy relationships with both past and present co-workers, volunteers, and everyone you meet throughout your career. Do not discount any relationships or contributions, whether they are from the CEO or support staff–they are all equally valuable and crucial to your collective mission.